Where the money goes
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) provide the overarching framework for Ireland’s international development policy. The policy document is A Better World and you can read it on our policies page.
Ireland’s focus is on poverty reduction and delivering for the poorest and most vulnerable. We are prioritising gender equality, reducing humanitarian need, climate action and strengthening governance as key strategies for directing our development cooperation to the furthest behind first.A Better World, provides the framework for Ireland’s expanding development cooperation programme, in line with the Government’s commitment to reaching the UN target of allocating 0.7% of our GNI to official development assistance by 2030. It outlines Ireland’s vision of a more equal, peaceful and sustainable world. It charts a clear way forward to achieve this vision, shaping and protecting our stability, our prosperity, our shared interests and our common future.
In our Annual Report each year we provide detailed information in the form of text, tables and case studies that show how the Irish Aid budget for that year is spent. In addition, in line with our commitment to aid transparency, outlined in Ireland’s policy on Development Cooperation A Better World, Irish Aid publishes detailed information on its aid programme in the internationally agreed format. For more information on this format and other development actors publications, please visit the website of the International Aid Transparency Initiative.
The following data files are now published and registered on the IATI website. The format used is the required XML format.
- Irish Aid Transaction File
- 2023 IATI Organisation file 20-10
- Irish Aid 2023 Transaction File
- 2023 Activity File
This data is registered to the IATI Registry. In accessing this data, users need to be aware of the following:
- A full analysis of Ireland’s ODA for 2023, including ODA managed by other Government Departments, is available in the statistical annexes to the Irish Aid Annual Report.
- Names of individuals and / or service providers are not published.
- The most recent expenditure data published has not been audited.
- Budget data for the current year is for planning purposes only and may be subject to change.