Did you know that for online applications you can have your photo taken at home with a camera, tablet or phone?
Poor quality photographs are the main reason we have to reject passport applications. Whether you choose to have your photo taken at home, by a photo professional or at a photo booth you will need to be aware of our guidelines. These will help you get your photo right first time.
You must submit a photo that has been taken in the last six months. This is a requirement from the International Civil Aviation Organisation. Your application will be delayed if your photos do not meet the rules. If you have a disability that prevents you meeting photo requirements, contact us and we can advise you.
Video guide to the photo guidelines
You need a digital photo to apply for a Passport Book or Passport Card online.
You need a printed photo to apply for a Passport Book by paper application form.
If you are applying by paper application form, you need to:
- Include 4 identical photos, no more than 6 months old with your passport application
- Make sure they meet our requirements on pose and visuals
- Get your witness for your application to:
- Write the form number on the back of two of your four photos. They can find this in Section 9 of the application form.
- Sign and stamp the back of those two photos.
If this is not done we will need you to submit a new form and new photos.
Your print photo must meet these technical specifications:
The photos should show a close up of your face and the top of your shoulders so that your face takes up between 70% and 80% of the frame.
- Minimum: 35mm x 45mm
- Maximum: 38mm x 50mm
- Photos must be printed on photo-quality paper at a high resolution.
- Photos must be in sharp focus and correctly exposed
- There should be no ink marks or creases.
- Digital enhancements or changes are not acceptable.
- The reverse of the photos must be white and unglazed.
- Black and white photos are recommended as they're digitally printed onto the passport in black and white. But we also accept colour photos.