Missing person abroad

If you suspect that a friend or relative has gone missing abroad, we can offer you advice and practical help on what you can do.

Contact the Gardaí

Your first action in any case where you believe a person to be missing is to contact your local Garda station in Ireland and file a missing persons report.

The Gardaí will then forward the report to Interpol, who are the relevant international policing authority and coordinate searches for missing persons and liaise with foreign police forces.

Back to top

Contact our Embassies and Consulates

Our Embassies and Consulates abroad can make enquiries about the welfare or whereabouts of Irish people.

Get contact details for Irish Embassies and Consulates.

Back to top

What we can do

  • We can help you to make contact with the appropriate police or other authority in the country concerned.
  • We can share any information about non-governmental organisations or other agencies that may be in a position to help with a search.
Back to top

What we can’t do

  • We can’t carry out detailed investigations or organise physical searches which are the responsibility of the competent local authority.
Back to top

About Interpol

Interpol is the body which facilitates cross-border police cooperation and carries out detailed investigations for missing persons.

Back to top

This is a prototype - your feedback will help us to improve it. Leave feedback.