How do I renounce my citizenship?

If you're an Irish citizen living abroad and you want to apply for citizenship of another country, you may need to renounce your Irish citizenship.

You can renounce your Irish citizenship if:

  • You are over 18 years of age
  • You live outside the State
  • You are, or are about to become, a citizen of another country

You need to:

  1. Complete a declaration of alienage Form 13 
  2. Get your declaration witnessed (there's a list of acceptable witnesses on your form)
  3. Submit your form to Immigration Service Delivery.

Reclaiming your citizenship


This is a prototype - your feedback will help us to improve it. Leave feedback.